To find out how much interest you paid on your student loans during the tax year, look for the Form 1098-E, Student Loan Interest Statement from your loan servicers. Any loan servicer that collected at least $600 in interest from you is required to send you a Form 1098-E by Jan. 31, either electronically or by mail.
Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision. No, you can only use the redesigned Form 1040 — including Form 1040 Schedule 1 — to claim student loan interest payments. To learn more about how student debt works — and how to deal with paying it back — read our comprehensive guide to student loans. If parents are legal owners of the loan, they can claim the deduction if they paid interest on the money borrowed and the student is still considered their dependent.
Ways to Spot Student Loan Scams
If your AGI is above $80,000/$160,000, the deduction will not be available to you. I’ve already extolled on the perils of student loan debt hundreds of times. But since it is tax time, I want this to be a reminder that receiving a tax deduction for your debt, while nice, doesn’t really help with the problem. But we do have to make money to pay our team and keep this website running! TheCollegeInvestor.com has an advertising relationship with some or all of the offers included on this page, which may impact how, where, and in what order products and services may appear. The College Investor does not include all companies or offers available in the marketplace. And our partners can never pay us to guarantee favorable reviews .
- Whether you are itemizing or applying the standard deduction you can claim the student loan interest as a deduction.
- The deduction is capped at $2,500, and it may be reduced the higher your income is.
- Confirm details with the provider you’re interested in before making a decision.
- If your adjusted gross income is $60,000 or less ($130,000 or less if married filing jointly), then you will qualify for the full $4,000 deduction.
- Worth $4,000, if your modified adjusted gross income was under $60,000 with the filing status of single or under $130,000 for married filing jointly couples.
- We may receive compensation from our partners for placement of their products or services.
Incurred the higher education expenses around the time you took out the loan. Taxes are taken from your gross pay to pay for things like roads, first responders, and public schools. Answer yes and, once your tax return is complete, you’ll be asked for consent to share your financial data with Earnest. LendKey’s experts are there every step of the way, providing the expertise to help you choose the student loan or refinancing option that best suits your needs. The College Investor is an independent, advertising-supported financial media publisher, focusing on news, product reviews, and comparisons.
How to deduct student loan interest on my taxes
Just answer simple questions, and we’ll guide you through filing your taxes with confidence. Whichever way you choose, get your turbotax student loan interest maximum refund guaranteed. If you’ve made a year of on-time repayments and have good credit and income, you might qualify.
- And even more so with all the dialogue going on in Congress with reducing or eliminated this deduction – what will happen.
- If you’re eligible to deduct student loan interest, your deductible amount goes on Schedule 1 as an adjustment to income.
- A simple tax return is one that’s filed using IRS Form 1040 only, without having to attach any forms or schedules.
- While REPAYE will be beneficial to millions of people saddled with student debt, married couples could see their monthly payments rise substantially.
- In other words, if you’re a typical borrower who graduated in recent years with roughly $30,000 or so in debt, refinancing likely isn’t going to be much help to you.
Our information is based on independent research and may differ from what you see from a financial institution or service provider. When comparing offers or services, verify relevant information with the institution or provider’s site. Talk with a financial professional if you’re not sure. No, you can only deduct the student loan interest you paid from your taxes. The lifetime learning credit allows you to deduct up to $2,000 a year while you’re enrolled in a higher education program — including undergraduate, graduate and even professional development courses. There’s no limit to how often you can use this, though your MAGI must not be more than $68,000 or more — $136,000 for joint filers.
SoFi Student Loan Refinancing
Enter your student loan interest deduction on line 33 of IRS Form 1040 Schedule 1 . Subtract the resulting figure from your original student loan interest deduction. Multiply that resulting figure by your original student loan interest deduction. https://turbo-tax.org/ You should receive your form electronically or by mail in advance of the April annual tax deadline — usually in January. If you send repayments to more than one servicer, you’ll get a form from each of them if you paid at least $600 in interest.
Where can I deduct student loan interest?
The student loan interest deduction allows borrowers to deduct up to $2,500 of the interest paid on a loan for higher education directly on Form 1040. Eligibility for the deduction includes an individual's filing status and income level. The deduction is capped at the amount paid for those who paid less than $2,500.
Earn a guaranteed rate of interest over a fixed period of time. Use this free, online piggy bank to save for long- and short-term goals. All deposit accounts through Pathward are FDIC insured. Finances Spruce A mobile banking app for people who want to be good with money.
All products and services are presented without warranty. There are thousands of financial products and services out there, and we believe in helping you understand which is best for you, how it works, and will it actually help you achieve your financial goals.
- Even if you used some of the funds for other personal expenses, such as to finance a vacation, the deduction is not entirely lost.
- Information provided on Forbes Advisor is for educational purposes only.
- Anyone paying off a student loan with a repayment assistance program like the National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Program isn’t eligible for a tax deduction.
- For interest paid to a foreign lender, the deduction is the amount of interest paid for the qualified student loan.
For more information and a complete list of our advertising partners, please check out our full Advertising Disclosure. TheCollegeInvestor.com strives to keep its information accurate and up to date. The information in our reviews could be different from what you find when visiting a financial institution, service provider or a specific product’s website.
Description of benefits and details at hrblock.com/guarantees. In most cases, your school will notify you of your eligible costs for the year before you prepare your income tax return by sending you a Form 1098-T. The above article is intended to provide generalized financial information designed to educate a broad segment of the public; it does not give personalized tax, investment, legal, or other business and professional advice. Let an expert do your taxes for you, start to finish with TurboTax Live Full Service. Or you can get your taxes done right, with experts by your side with TurboTax Live Assisted.
We may also receive payment if you click on certain links posted on our site. If you don’t meet these criteria, you won’t be able to get a deduction for your student loan interest payments. This box applies only to borrowers who carry student loans from before 2004.